Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good. Anyone who does what is good is from God. Anyone who does what is evil has not seen God.
3 John 1: 11
Isn’t it crazy how quickly summer is flying by?? OK, so “officially” summer has only begun, but seriously, it is already almost July and then August will be here and boom! Summer will be over. Eeewww… and then my absolute favorite season, Autumn (I just got butterflies)!!! Sorry about that little tangent… I may have taken that a wee bit too far.
I am trying to make sure I appreciate all the fun things summer has to offer; i.e. the pool, morning walks, playing outside, fishing, grilling out…. such as this delicious grilled pizza with bourbon bacon marmalade.
What is bacon marmalade (also known as bacon jam), you might ask? Well, it is a scrumptious mixture of bacon, onions, brown sugar, bourbon, and thyme cooked until every last bit of flavor has been penetrated into the mixture.
You might be wondering what you can place this little concoction on? Anything your heart desires; a cheesy omelet, a grilled cheese, a BLT, or pizza.
I kept this recipe simple with some garlic olive oil, cheddar cheese, and tomatoes. And plus, of course Bourbon Bacon Marmalade, then finished off with Arugula mixed with lemon and olive oil. Delish.
Let me know what you think!
- 1½ pounds bacon
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 large yellow onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 1½ teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Pizza crust, I used this recipe: http://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2015/01/05/best-pizza-youll-ever-make/
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded White Cheddar cheese, I uses Cabot Farmhouse
- 1 cup of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ cup Bourbon Bacon Marmalade
- ¾ cup Arugula + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place bacon on aluminium lined cookie sheet. Cook for approximately 20 minutes, until bacon is crispy.
- Remove bacon to paper towel lined plate.
- Pour bacon fat into a heat safe bowl.
- When bacon is cool enough to handle, place bacon onto a cutting board and finely chop.
- Place a 12" skillet on stove top over medium heat.
- Add 2 teaspoons of reserved bacon fat and 2 teaspoons of butter into pan. Saute onions and 1 teaspoon salt until soft and translucent, approximately 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir brown sugar, bourbon, 1 teaspoon of thyme leaves, black pepper into onion mixture; add bacon. Stir water into bacon mixture and cook until jam is a brick-brown bacon color and has a jam consistency, approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir balsamic vinegar, olive oil, remaining ½ teaspoon thyme, and Worcestershire sauce into jam; stir until shiny and heated through.
- Turn grill onto high heat, close to 450-500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Work dough into an approximate 12" circle - ensuring bottom is well floured.
- Have all ingredients pre-sliced and ready to use.
- Mix together arugula, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt pepper in a medium size bowl.
- Place 12" circle of dough directly onto grill slats. Leave for only 1-2 minutes. Carefully with a pizza peel or 2 large spatulas flip pizza over.
- In a quick manner slather on the garlic olive oil.
- Sprinkle on cheese and tomatoes and bacon marmalade.
- Let cook for approximately 5 minutes. Check bottom of crust for doneness.
- Once crust is cooked to liking, remove from grill.
- Let pizza cool down slightly, then placed Arugula mixture on top.