Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.
1 John 5: 15
Can I say this is my jam??? Skillet pancake with Berry compote, aah those words sound bea-a-u-tiful rolling off my tongue. I have mentioned previously here, my love/hate relationship with refined flour/refined sugar. So I slowly – very slowly have been trying to kick the habit.
But sometimes you just need warm fluffy pancakes to start your day right, ya know?? But then comes the guilt, remorse, bloating, sleepiness… ain’t no’body got time for that.
In comes Low Carb Skillet Pancakes with their delicious side kicks cream cheese and berry compote! All the yumminess without the after effects. Sign me up.
I have used Bob Red Mill’s Low Carb Baking mix a few times now. I am quickly falling in love with it. When using it, these pancakes do have more texture than all purpose flour, but it does not have the after taste and baking issues other alternative flours seem to cause. Personally, I find this has a similar texture to cornbread, but not quite as grainy. Does that make any sense?
If low carb is not your thing, if you are a blessed human that can eat all purpose flour, replace the 2 cups of Low Carb flour with the AP flour (this flour is not GF, you can easily substitute your favorite all purpose GF flour in this recipe as well). There is SO much to love about this recipe, it is super quick and easy to make, no flipping multiple pancakes and trying to keep them all warm and it will feed a small army.
See, I told you this recipe rocks! Let me know what you think.
- 2 cups Bob Red Mills Low Carb Baking Mix
- 2½ tbs granulated sugar
- 1 tbs baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2½ tbs coconut oil - warmed to liquid (or oil preference)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
- 2 cups mixed berries (I used blueberries and raspberries)
- 2 tbs granulated sugar
- ½ tbs lemon zest
- Cream cheese - for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, place a 12 inch (oven safe) heavy bottomed skillet - preferably a well seasoned cast iron skillet. Into oven as it preheats.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda. Mix together.
- In another large bowl (or using a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer), place buttermilk (see note on how to make buttermilk), coconut oil, eggs vanilla, and lemon zest. Beat together well with mixer.
- Slowly incorporate flour mixture into liquid mixture. Stir together well, but not overly so - only so it is not lumpy. If mixed to long, this will make bread chewy.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven, and carefully oil it. (I pour approximately a ½ tbs oil into skillet, and smear it around with a folded paper towel.)
- Pour pancake mixture into skillet. Place into oven on middle rack.
- Cook until a toothpick comes out clean when place in center of pancake. Approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Cut pancake into wedges. Serve with Cream cheese, and berry compote.
- Place berries in a small pan on medium heat. Add in sugar and lemon zest.
- Cook for 10 minutes, until juices release from fruit.
- Remove from burner, to allow compote to cool prior to serving.
Non-dairy milk works well with this as well.
Recipe Adapted from Sugar Detox Made Easy by Prevention