But the Lord has become my fortress, and my God the rock in whom I take refuge.
Psalm 94: 22
Skillet Zucchini Lasagna… yum. This was a big hit in our house. This dish has all of the classic lasagna flavors with a twist. Added bonus: this recipe is free of grains, therefore it is naturally gluten free and low carb.
On that note, I am toying with possibility of showcasing mostly low carb or at least – no sugar or refined flours, recipes. And with that, incorporating what snacks and meals I have been eating on this fun journey of returning to a healthy weight.
I need to pray for guidance, I do not feel extremely comfortable with this idea. But sometimes leaving your comfort zone is a good thing. Also, I can not decide if this would be extremely helpful to others or not.
Moving on. This is a fun, filling recipe that gives all the flavors of lasagna without even missing the noodles. Even my little man really enjoyed this. The sun dried tomatoes give this a delicious twist, that really compliments the dish, and when they are cooking along with the garlic…. Wowzer! You will think you were time warped into an Italian kitchen, as wonderful as your house will smell.
And if you want to make this for a quick weeknight meal, make your meatballs ahead of time or buy your favorite pre-packaged ones. I really like these.
- 15-20 Meatballs (recipe to follow)
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4 tomatoes - roughly chopped
- ½ of a large onion or whole small onion - roughly chopped
- 1 green pepper - roughly chopped
- 1 large or 2 small zucchini - sliced and quartered
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tbs garlic paste or 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbs oil from sun dried tomatoes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¾ cup shredded Provolone cheese
- ¾ cup Ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- Serve with red pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp garlic paste or 3 garlic cloves - chopped
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes in oil - chopped
- 4 oz tomato sauce (1/2 of a small can of tomato sauce)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large bowl mix together - almond flour, parmesan cheese, eggs, salt, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, tomato sauce.
- Once all above ingredients are well incorporated, add in ground beef and pork. Mix together.
- Roll mixture into balls close in size to golf balls, place meatballs into a 13 X 9 glass baking dish.
- Pour enough water into bottom of glass dish to fill up ⅓ of the way.
- Place into oven. Cook for 25 minutes. Check internal temperature of meatball for 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place meatballs onto a paper towel lined plate.
- These can be made ahead and refrigerated, or it making ahead more than 3-4 days, can be placed in freezer.
- On a medium heat, place a large heavy bottom skillet - once preheated,heat butter and olive oil.
- Add in onion and green pepper, saute until softened. Add in garlic paste/cloves for last minute of sauteing.
- Add in tomatoes, meatballs, tomato sauce, sun dried tomato oil, garlic and onion powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir over heat, let all ingredients heat through for 5 minutes.
- While above mixture heating up. Mix together Ricotta cheese, salt and Parmesan cheese in a medium size bowl. Set aside.
- Add chopped zucchini to skillet mixture. Stir together, cook for 3-4 minutes over medium heat. (The zucchini will not looked completely cooked, this is ok.)
- Turn oven onto Broil.
- Add shredded provolone cheese, and a large dollop of Ricotta to center of mixture.
- Place skillet into oven for 4-5 minutes, keep a close eye on lasagna. Broil can quickly burn the cheese mixture.
- Once cheese is melted and bubbly, remove from oven. Let cool for 10 minutes, prior to serving.
- Serve with extra parmesan and red pepper flakes.